Thursday 25 September 2008

Jeff Minter and the rest of the industry, what a interesting fellow!

I have to say that I’m neither the biggest “Jeff Minter” fan with his game creations such as “Gridrunner”, “Tempest 2000” for Atari Jaguar, “Attack of the Mutant Camels”, “Revenge of the Mutant Camels”, “Sheep in Space”, etc to name a few, I certainly see the hook to his games but just too hardcore for me. It’s amazing how he survives with such aggressive gaming market these days, when you hear about “EA” and “Activision” spending multi million/ sometimes billions dollars deals doing this or buying that development studio up, etc. It is such breath of fresh air and sign of hope to see such figurehead among retro gamers can remain producing games that he loves and presents him as person without compromising. This is video is talk/presentation from “Jeff Minter” talking about his history of video game production. To be honest, it isn’t the most informative or insightful presentation by any means but certainly very inspiring and interesting to see such personality able to do what he loves, he certainly touched my soul. I wouldn’t recommend watching it all but at least skip to 25 minutes in where he talks about his ideal/process of games development which I found to be uplifting and profound approach to where refers to games development as “moulding some clay which you don’t know what it’s going to be till you get there” which sounds so liberating. Anyway I you hope watching it and be inspired by it like I did.


No comments: